What vehicle maintenance is so important that it can’t wait? I cannot afford to service my car when nothing is wrong.
I understand completely, as many of our customers are in a similar situation. I would be happy to tell you where you’ll get the most “bang for the buck.” It is important to maintain your vehicle for two major reasons: No one wants to break down and deal with the inconvenience of waiting for a tow truck (or a potential accident); and if you wait for a break-down, I can guarantee that your repair will cost more than what you can do to prevent it. Your vehicle contains a lot of high-technology parts and it is important to maintain them to extend the life of your vehicle.
This is Car Care Month. Your vehicle should get an annual check-up and period check-ups when you get your oil changed — at least every 5,000 miles. I’m confident that our Jaffarian Service Department’s certified technicians will be able to tell you what else is most important for your specific vehicle. Here are my Top 10 best car care tips:
1. Keep up with your maintenance schedule. In order to honor your warranty, you must keep up with maintenance. If you are outside of the warranty period, take your vehicle to a reputable service station or dealership to identify what is most crucial to repair.
2. Does your vehicle have a timing belt or chain? Repairing it before it snaps will save you money and aggravation. The timing belt or chain is part of the system that controls the engine’s valves so they open and close at the proper times. If you don’t change it, generally at 90,000-100,000 miles, it will cause further damage to your engine.
3. Have an oil change that includes a check of all the filters and fluids. Check the hoses, belts and battery. It’s best to replace them before their useful life is over. Jaffarian’s Service Department is able to work on all makes and models and the technicians are certified on Toyotas and Volvos.
4. Check your brakes. If you feel your brakes are not as efficient as they were, get them checked. This is one of the most important safety systems. You cannot afford to lose your brakes as that will certainly lead to an accident.
5. Keep your tires properly inflated. Tires that are too low use more fuel, and therefore, cost you more. Other than your brakes, they are one of the most important safety features. Get an alignment, tire rotation and balance your tires when the technician recommends it. You’ll save money and prevent more costly repairs by needing new tires sooner than expected, and of course you’ll experience a smoother ride. Check the inside door label or manual for the proper inflation for winter vs. nice weather.
6. Wax, polish and wash your vehicle regularly. Though these may seem like cosmetic issues, they go a long way to maintaining the value of your vehicle. Repair dents and nicks before they rust. All of this can be done at the Jaffarian Auto Spa and at the Body Shop.
7. Know who is working on your vehicle. All service stations and service department are not created equal. Find out if the technician is certified to work on your vehicle. How much experience do they have working on your vehicle make and model? How much experience do they have with that specific procedure? Do they have convenient hours? The Jaffarian Service Department is open six days a week. Appointments can be made on line 24/7.
8. Does your service station use genuine or generic parts? Do you want new or refurbished parts? I call this “Keep your Toyota a Toyota” or “Keep your Volvo a Volvo.” Your vehicle is the sum of its parts!
9. Do you get a ride to work or back home? Jaffarian offers a shuttle service to get you where you need to be, should you not want to wait for your vehicle.
10. Get your vehicle ready for winter. Check your tires, heating system, windshield wipers and lights. I will write more about this before the winter weather descends upon us.
During Car Care Month, be sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape. For a free copy of a booklet for Car Care Guide available as part of “Be Car Care Aware” campaign, click here. Please don’t wait for something to go wrong before you get your vehicle checked. After all, it’s your money, your safety, your life. Come visit us at the Jaffarian Service Department where you’ll be treated like a V.I.P. Our comfortable waiting rooms and guest services mean you may not want to leave! Really, our customers have told us that before!
P.S. We have a lot of coupon specials on our website including many of the services mentioned above, for example, timing belt, oil change, and auto spa specials. Protect your wallet and review our specials!