We haven’t heard much about the Toyota RAV4. How does it compare to its competitors?
I’m glad you asked about the RAV4! The RAV4 is receiving many accolades in the small SUV category for its overall value, the many features that come standard in the RAV4 as compared to the six main competitors in this product category.
One reviewer commented that RAV4’s “active-safety acceleration, handling and cornering performance on snow” is better than all of its competitors. Both Kelly Blue Book and Consumer Reports gave accolades for the RAV4’s smooth ride, fuel economy, transmission and roominess. It’s one of Toyota’s many models that has stood the test of time (over 20 years) and continues to improve thanks to Toyota’s ongoing technological advancements.
According to the most objective source, Consumer Reports, “The RAV4 uses an energetic 2.5-liter four-cylinder and a smooth six-speed automatic that combined to return 24-mpg overall in tests of the AWD version. Handling is quite nimble and very secure. Though the ride is firm and well-controlled…”
The six competitors of the RAV4 include the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Jeep Cherokee or Patriot, Subaru Forester and Nissan Rogue. When researching vehicles, it is important to FIRST define what features are important to you and your driving needs and preferences. This can be very helpful to protect your wallet while also ensuring you remain focused on evaluating makes and models that include what you are really looking for.
The following are standard features in the RAV4: (Note these same features are not standard in the RAV4’s primary competition. They are available in some at an additional cost or not available at all.)
- 6 transmission speeds in automatic mode
- Front knee airbags
- Front fog lights
- Heated exterior mirrors
- Power sun /moon roof
- 15.9 gallon fuel capacity
- Voice-activated control
- The widest body at 72.6 inches
- Integrated back-up bumper
- Fold-flat second row seat.
Kelly Blue Book rated the RAV4 high in the performance category because of its “Dynamic torque-control AWD (all-wheel drive) which makes other SUVs just feel like UVs.”
What features did KBB like best?
- Rear view aids — “As fashion and safety rules emphasize thicker pillars, cars are getting harder and harder to see out of. The RAV4 comes standard with a backup camera, and ups the ante with available blind-spot detection with rear cross-traffic alert, warning you when other vehicles are approaching as you reverse.”
- Cargo capacity – “Despite being a compact crossover SUV, the Toyota RAV4 offers up a lot of cargo space behind the second row. If that’s not enough, fold those seats and you’ll get a class-leading 73.4 cubic feet, all of it usable thanks to a flat load floor.”
- Technology — It offers “Entune App Suite mobile apps you want, integrated with the vehicle you love.”
The RAV4 has a lot to offer and is fun to drive. Seating 5, choose from 8 exterior color options. Come to Jaffarian Toyota Scion and test drive one if you’re thinking that an SUV will meet your needs. If you’re not sure, we can help you make that decision based on your input and the opportunity to drive an SUV, especially if you haven’t owned one before.
Welcome spring! Now perhaps it time for that long-awaited test drive…