ASK GARY: What is a Good Vehicle to Buy for a Teen?
Buying a vehicle for your son or daughter is a big step, and you want to have peace of mind that you’re choosing the right one. There are many considerations that go into the decision-making process, such as, whether to buy a car, SUV or truck; whether to purchase new or pre-owned; and which models to consider. One thing is certain—safety is at the top of everyone’s list, and rightfully so, given that teens are four times more likely to have an accident than adults, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Here are a few tips for putting your teen in a vehicle that is safe and reliable:
- Consider mid-sized vehicles that can better absorb the impact of a crash.
- Look at cars instead of SUVs. With a higher center of gravity, SUVs can become less stable if they’re operated at high speeds.
- Many pre-owned vehicles from the 1990s or later typically follow current safety standards. Check to make sure the car’s safety equipment is up to date. Look for features such as anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control.
- Check Consumer Reports to make sure the vehicle has performed well in crash tests.
- If you are in the market for a pre-owned vehicle, it’s important to review the vehicle’s history. Ask the dealer to produce the following:
- CARFAX Vehicle History Report — This lists the number of owners, service intervals and accident history.
- A copy of the work order indicating any repairs that the dealer has made to the vehicle prior to putting it on the lot for sale.
At Jaffarian, we use an Evidence Manual that contains copies of the above, along with any prior service history if the vehicle was serviced at Jaffarian. If a vehicle for sale has had all its required maintenance performed by us, we market it with pedigree papers.
With some thoughtful planning, you can find a car that will not only make your teen look good, but will make you feel good, too. That’s a win all the way around.
Jaffarian Automotive Group
Have a Blog Question for Gary?
- How, when and WHY to check your oil: bit.ly/2ns5vvb #Automotive #Vehicle #HowTo https://t.co/9u13fyQzoT 17 hours ago
- Take $10 off a Volvo oil change. Grab your coupon here! bit.ly/2mCVL1u #MerrimackValley #Boston #Volvo… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Searching for a three-row SUV that's less minivan and more stylish, sporty and upscale? Th… ift.tt/2nQHWfF https://t.co/aluZ7ODnaM 2 days ago
- Power & Spirit are in the 2017 Toyota 4Runner's Design. See more: bit.ly/2n0BI8u #Toyota #NewCar… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago